[78-L] Oompah question (sort of)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 24 09:18:57 PST 2012

A dirty phrase is like a melody......I'm still looking for the feelthy lyrics
to Colonel Bogey (BS..was all the band could play). And the joke whose
punchline is "Not tonight, Josephine".

My CBC producers and I spent ages on the telephone and researching elsewhere,
trying to find the source of "There's a town in France" when Peter Schickele
quoted it in one of his pastiche works. It seems to date from a pre-1900
World's Fair and the snake charmer or can shaker or something like that. No,
not from Saint-Saens' Bacchanale.

dl