[78-L] Paramount Record. other, trove in Chicago

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jan 22 00:51:27 PST 2012

From: Mark Bardenwerper <citrogsa at charter.net>
> This may be old news to some of you, but it caught my attention.
> While looking for Lou Breese material, I came across the the name
> John Steiner, who lived from 1908- 2000. He was involved with the
> recording industry there for many years. His material is kept at
> the Special Collections Center at the University of Chicago.

John was an old friend of many of us here.  He actually was a chemistry
professor at U of Ch, and all of the things you mention about his work
in the record business was a hobby! The library gave an ARSC Conference
presentation about John and this collection a few years ago and the
recording might be available at ARSC.

> Evidently he had a lot to do with the Wisconsin Chair Company later.
> There is a lot of material from his time there as well as what else he
> accumulated. It looks like an incredible resource for anyone researching
> jazz or blues history. I will give you just a taste of what I see.

He was able to buy the Paramount trademark and what little was left of
the company.  He did a few reissues on the Paramount label, and used to
have fun giving out extra labels from these pressings.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com