[78-L] value of a collection for bankruptcy

Eric Goldberg ericgoldie2 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 21 20:49:00 PST 2012

A good friend is facing bankruptcy and his lawyer asked him for the value of everything he owns including his record collection. I told him to place a value of 25 cents per record since that is what the local library sells them for at its library fair. I also told him to value his CD's at $1.00 a disk. I doubt that he could realize even the 25 cent per recordif  he tried to sell them, but he does need to present a value.

It is a nice collection of jazz. big band and vocalist LPs that are fairly common to people with good taste. There are no real rarities in mint condition.

As a collector, not a dealer, I would appreciate hearing from the pros on the list if this is a reasonable assessment. Remember it is for bankruptcy, not insurance.

He has about 700 records and 125 CDs.

The least I can do for him is to get him an authoritative assessment.

He does not need a list of songs about bankruptcy although I am sure that one will be forthcoming.

Thank you

Eric Goldberg