[78-L] Bix's "At the Jazz Band Ball" on German Parlophone

Albert Haim ahaim at bixography.com
Tue Jan 17 06:41:50 PST 2012

The first recording by Bix and His Gang was "At the Jazz Band Ball," Oct 5, 1927. According to Richard Dean-Myatt's Bix discography in Sudhalter and Evans "Bix, Man and Legend," there were four issues of the recording in the continent. There were two in England also: R-3465 (original issue, probably 1927 or 1928) and R-2711 (Miscellany Rhythm Style Series, No. 8, probably mid to late 1930s); I have these two.

Par G A-4917 (Germany).
Par G R-3645 (Germany).This is a typo. The correct number is 3465. This is also the number in the first English issue.
Par Ss R-2711 (Switzerland).
Par It B-71141 (Italy).

I have learned, since I started looking for the two German recordings, that there is a third German Parlophone, R-2711; this, like its English and Swiss counterparts with the same number, is Miscellany Rhythm Style Series, No. 8.

Collectors have kindly sent me scans of the record labels of the Swiss and Italian issues and of German R 2711. I am looking for scans of the record labels of the two German issues A-4917 and R-3465. A knowledgeable collector raised the possibility that the listing of German R-3465 may be in error. It is not listed in Rust.

Can anyone help? Was German Parlophone R-3465 issued? If so and you have copies of the German Parlophone issues R-3465 and A-4917 of "At the Jazz Band Ball "by Bix and His Gang, could you scan the record labels and send the scans to me as attachments? I would be very grateful. Was A-4917 issued in 1928 or so?

Thanks.

Albert
http://bixbeiderbecke.com
ahaim at bixography.com