[78-L] Further questions on RCA/Bluebird 31-0000 series

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 16 06:01:16 PST 2012

31-0001/4 were Al Goodman doing a box set of SOUTH PACIFIC (using the
understudies) and I think 31-0005/8 made up another box set of Irving Berlin's
MISS LIBERTY. Vinyl pressings, nicely done, marketed to the great unwashed.
Columbia also had a budget line, Harmony, which was distributed by Eli
Oberstein's company and was doing too well..it had a couple of hits so they
snagged it back and put the artists like Rosemary Clooney on the full price
label. I'm not sure what Canada did with either of these series..certainly they
didn't give Bluebird the deluxe treatment here.

dl