[78-L] removing 45 adapters

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jan 12 10:36:45 PST 2012

OK, assuming you are talking about the zinc Webster-Chicago inserts,
here is what you do.  Have the record so that at the 12 o'clock position
is one of the ears that that has its top edge under the record.  You
will be seeing the side of the ear that is divided into thirds with the
middle section being thicker.  Press slightly on that ear from the top
and the insert should slip easily out.

The picture on this ohboyy auction shows the adapter and the orientation
I mention.
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-45-Record-Adapter-Webster-Chicago-Corp-LOGO-1-5-/360326780776

A box of these adapters came with the Webster-Chicago Fonograf I got
when I was 4 1/2 and I NEVER had any trouble getting the inserts in and
out.  I guess it is like the modern electronics we have that only a
child can do it.  Trying to find the illustratioh they provided I came
across this listserve-of-idiots discussing it.
http://www.phonoland.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1112

Ah, here's a page with good sharp pictures of the instruction sheet.
But it only tells you how to get them IN!!!
http://www.instappraisal.com/antique-appraisal/box-metal-ten-rs-46-45-rpm-record-adapters

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com