[78-L] Another Mystery: The Hot Shots

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Mon Jan 9 08:09:04 PST 2012

1 - What was the first issue of Blue Hours (group name; label + cat.nr; composer) ?
It is not under Buckner in discographies.

2 - Where is it said that the Hot Shots were a Milt Buckner group (this is not stated by Ruppli or Bruyninckx) ?
    Is there really "conventional wisdom" on such issues?

3 - I have saved a label image of Horse's Neck with the note "Sam Taylor-ts suggested."

4 - The mx.nrs fit into the 1954 series. Quite remarkable is the prefix WFB.
A quick check of Ruppli (Savoy dg) for 1954 shows:
Mxs start with S or W prefix of 3 letters. S = Savoy, I assume, but what is W?
The next 2 letters indicate the artist, and then follows the numerical sequence.
The Artist thus is FB. Any suggestions?
Dreams/Hours/Neck all have composer F. Madison, so pres. he is in the band
(maybe the first name F returns in the FB prefix).

5 - Hot Shots title Blue Nights (Savoy 1136-A), from an earlier session (mx S3366),
was composed by L.Herman (from label image).
Checking Ruppli, it appears that mxs S-3363-66 are by MILT BUCKNER / THE BEALE STREET GANG,
28 Oct 46, with P.Simon-ts.
Only 78rpm issue from this session is Savoy 653, by THE BEALE ST. GANG / BOYS (different credits used),
with S-3366 titled Lights Out. This must have been released ca. mid-1947.
Next surprise is that the composer of Lights Out on the label is A.M. Brunner (as on reverse Raising The Roof).
Is Brunner the same as Herman?
78s with credit BOYS are more common than those with GANG. My guess would be, that GANG was used
on the first pressing and replaced by BOYS when the record became popular. Maybe this can be found
in Billboard and I would like to know which credit is used in the first announcement/review in Billboard.
Savoy 653 was the first issue in the 600 series using the "note" label for a new issue;
the preceding 652 by Charley Parker was first issued with Savoy's  orchestra label and repressed with the note label.

6 - Savoy 1128 is relatively common.
1136 is less common, and I have only a single image of the real issue and 3 images of the sample issue.
I have no images of 1557 (and would appreciate them). This was a different series (1500s).

===
>>> On 08/01/12 14:11, David Lewis wrote:
> Savoy 1128
> The Hot Shots
> (WFB-2422) Horses Neck
> (WFB-2423) Blue Hours
>
> The conventional wisdom is that The Hot Shots is a reissue nom de disque for one of Milt Buckner's groups
> with Stafford "Pazzuza" Simon on tenor that recorded for Savoy in 1945-1946. "Blue Hours" was, in fact, one
> of the titles recorded by this group, though I suspect this is not the same recording.
>
> The matrices place this record squarely in April 1952, by which time Buckner was no longer recording for
> Savoy. I can understand why Savoy would want a record of "Blue Hours" back in their catalog, as it was a good
> seller for them. Perhaps the new matrix signifies a dub, but if so, "Horses Neck" is not shown as a title recorded
> by the Buckner unit.
>
> Anyone have an idea as to whom this might be?
>
> The Hot Shots: Horses Neck
> http://www.box.com/s/21fappdiz1yyrdvfvmd8
>
> Uncle Dave Lewis
> uncledavelewis at hotmail.com

Lord 10.0 gives the following:

The Hot Shots
No details
New York, April 7, 1954
WFB2422-1    Blue dreaming    Savoy 1136
WFB2422    Horse's neck          1128
WFB2423    Blue hours         -    , 1557

      Julian Vein
<<<