[78-L] (On list) European Sound Recording Copyright Extension

Alan Bunting alanbuntinguk at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 09:14:54 PST 2012

So far as I am aware, absolutely nothing has happened regarding implementing the Directive in any EU member state - presumably they have more important things to worry about at the moment. This means that, so far as Europe is concerned, as of January 1st this year all recordings made up to the end of 1961 are now out of copyright and will remain so.

Anyone wishing to attempt to understand what happens when this seriously flawed piece of legislation is eventually implemented should take a look at an article I wrote for the latest issue of "Journal Into Melody" , the magazine of The Robert Farnon Society. One thing not mentioned in the article, and which I am still not sure of, is whether there will be an agreed implementation date common to all EU members.  If there isn't, then even more chaos will result!

http://www.rfsoc.org.uk/jim76.shtml

Alan Bunting