[78-L] April - Sept. 1913 Columbia catalogue supplements

Jack Raymond jraymond at alumni.princeton.edu
Thu Jan 5 14:02:25 PST 2012

Philip Carli wrote:
>  Hello - I'm trying to track down any 1913 Columbia supplement that
>  might give some blurb on A5457, three mvts. from "A Vanishing Race"
>  suite by Henry F. Gilbert, played by Prince's Orchestra, released
>  May 1913 according to Graveley Arnold. Has anyone seen or know where
>  the right supplement might be? The disc is curious, to say the
>  least, and rather important - I'd like to read what Columbia has to
>  say about it.
You may already know this; but the November 1913 Columbia catalog has
this to say about Columbia A5457 --
"Dream of the Ancient Red Man," backed with "Signal Fire to Mountain
God, and Song of the Wolf." (Henry F. Gilbert) From the incidental music
composed to accompany Edward S. Curtis's illustrated lecture, 'A
Vanishing Race.' Prince's Orchestra."

And there's a wealth of information online about Mr. Curtis and his
lecture.  One piece begins like this --
"A new voice and a strong one in the world of Indian music was heard
at Carnegie Hall on Wednesday evening, November 15, when Henry Gilbert,
with an orchestra, gave his new Indian musical developments as an
accompanying feature to the lecture by Edward S. Curtis on the "Story of
  a Vanishing Race." Mr. Curtis is widely known as the author of the
"North American Indian," a colossal work in many volumes presenting in
Mr. Curtis's remarkable photographs, as well as in literary form, an
exhaustive view of the North American tribes. The lecture was under the
auspices of the League for Political Education.

"The lecture was devoted largely to the Indian ceremonies, as the
lecturer wished to emphasize the deeper side of Indian life. The purely
picturesque aspects were given but a small space in the program. Many of
  Mr. Curtis's photographs, including tile now widely known "Vanishing
Race," were thrown upon the screen. These were accompanied by orchestral
  suites following the sequence of the pictures. Mr. Gilbert during the
past year has made many transcriptions from the Indian phonographic
records made by Mr. Curtis, and largely upon Indian melodies drawn from
this source were the compositions constructed."

-- Jack Raymond