[78-L] Cleaning Lacquers.

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. rbratcherjr at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 15:35:49 PST 2012

I cleaned the palmtric acid off of several NOS blank lacquers that I picked up from a used record dealer that I knew. One thick mass of 12" discs that I carefully pealed apart one by one then cleaned them with Windex & a paper towel then I put each disc on the Keith Monks for a second cleaning. Worked great however the discs were a bit noisy after recording with my Presto machine even though I used a fresh stylus. I'm sure that it was because they were old discs even though I used a 75 watt lamp to heat the lacquer surface as it was was being cut. Nothing hifi or anything. Just whatever I recorded off my old R390a vacuum tube reciever over a few days at 33 rpm. Normally I record from that reciever onto open reels at 3.75 ips. Didn't pay much for the blanks but I had fun with my portable recorder anyway.....