[78-L] Edison Home Phonograph - Cylinder Player on Craigslist

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 16:57:11 PST 2011

 From: Clifford Bolling <78records at cdbpdx.com>

> http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/atq/2771752394.html
>
> an Edison Home Phonograph cylinder player.  These don't show up on
> Craigslist very often.
>
> I just thought this was really cool.  Not sure if it is something allowed on
> this discussion forum.
>
> Might be fun to discuss.

I'm intrigued by this in the listing:

"The horn is not painted on the outside, because horns used to have a
silk
material around the outside of the horn to mellow the sound a bit."

I've been interested in antique phonographs since I was in grade
school, and I have never heard of putting silk around a horn to
"mellow" the sound.  This looks like an aftermarket horn, so
he might be extrapolating a little too much from a sample population
of one.  :-)