[78-L] Seeking info on Nippon Columbia A1095

Rob Allen robertwallen2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 11:17:36 PST 2011

Hello all! This is my first post here - old story, dad passed away and I'm researching his small collection of 78s. There are seven, three American and four Japanese, and I've found some information on six of them. But one of them seems to be unknown to Google, and the 78 forum at the Record Collectors Guild Forums was no help either. I hope someone here might have some information.

It's Nippon Columbia A1095. The writing is entirely Japanese except for the Nippon Columbia logo, the 'A1095' and these numbers: one side has '1211972' and the other has '2211973'. Any clues would be appreciated!

Another thing I'm curious about: on all four of the Japanese records, the company's name and logo have been scratched out. Not enough that you can't tell what it said if you're at all familiar with records, but a definite effort to erase. Any idea what the story is there?

FYI, here's what I've found about the others. First, the Japanese ones:

Nippon Columbia A93 - Hamako Watanabe, "China Night" 1205998 / Columbia Orchestra, "Hill of Pure Heart" 2204519 (this is the only one with the song titles in English)

Victor of Japan V40256 - Katsuhiko Haida with Victor Orchestra, "Waga-yume, waga-uta (My dream, my song)" P-1452 / Hideko Takamine, "Ginza kan-kan musume" P-1453

Victor of Japan V40303 - Shukuko Yamaguchi, "Yeh-lai-hsiang" P-1583 / "Omaide No Byakuran" P-1584

And the American ones:

Columbia A2412 - Reed Miller & Frederick Wheeler, "My Sunshine Jane" 77383 / Al Campbell & Henry Burr, "In the Land of Wedding Bells" 77396 - recorded Sept/Oct 1917

Columbia A2688 - Arthur Fields, "Your Boy Is On The Coal Pile Now" 78216 / Irving Kaufman, "Look What My Boy Got In France" 78217 - recorded Dec 1918, released Apr 1919

Victor 19867 - Vernon Dalhart, "Zeb Turney's Gal" / "Naomi Wise" - recorded Oct & Dec 1925, released Feb 1926

Comments on any & all of these are welcome!