[78-L] Co 48620 Mystery

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Thu Dec 29 02:59:43 PST 2011

WHEN I LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND was written by Irving Berlin in 1915.  It was
a hit that year for Sam Ash on Columbia and Henry Burr on Victor.  It's a
favorite of Barbershop Quartets, Dixieland groups and there are many solo
vocals also.  Of the female vocals you can find Rose Murphy, Teresa Brewer
and Kyla Wight on Youtube.  All of them include the verse which is missing
in your demo.  Unfortunately it doesn't sound to me like any of those three.
RayK

From: David Lewis
Here's a mystery for you. Columbia shellac test, mx. places it squarely in
October 1952. The handwritten label
has been so faded through water damage that the writing is illegible. What
is readable, and the song itself, show
that the title is "When I Leave This World Behind."

Female singer and not any of the big ones -- not Doris Day, Rosemary
Clooney, Dinah Shore or Jo Stafford. At
first listen I thought it might be Eileen Rodgers, but her voice is pitched
higher and is somewhat more direct in
delivery than this singer, who sounds more like Gogi Grant. But the part of
the name that is legible on the label is
"Nadd..." "Bro[ ]hs." And that is not even clear.

Here's the tune: http://www.box.com/s/e3t1mitjze2tfpdus9qq

So who is it? It certainly sounds like a demo to me, as the simple backing
is out of character for a Columbia pop
vocal of 1952. If it was issued, I can't find this mx.