[78-L] Duck, Chico! (was: Lennick's holiday torture)

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Mon Dec 26 09:37:42 PST 2011

...and, oh yeah!
Last night I watched Duck Soup on TCM for the first time all the way
through and was unimpressed. Osborne jacked it up as the greatest Marx
Brothers film ( the last one with Zeppo in it) ever made. It was a study
in antic humor but the jokes were stale, as if they'd been done one time
too many, and the musical numbers far overblown. In the film's defense,
it was the Marx Brothers! IMNSHO, the funniest bits contained Edgar
Kennedy, the stooge who ran the second cart in front of the palace.
Chico and Harpo were in full glory and Kennedy was perfectly cast.
How does the "Hail, Freedonia" anthem end? Every time the chorus got
that far they seem to be mumbling and I never could figure it out. Maybe
that was done on purpose? It would serve me right if it was.
Mal