[78-L] Same take - different stamper?

Tim Huskisson timhuskisson at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 25 18:11:45 PST 2011

I was sorting through some 78 duplicates and discovered two copies of a
British HMV, number B-5629 with a performance of "I Lift Up My Finger And I
Say 'Tweet! Tweet!'" by Leslie Sarony with Jack Hylton's Orchestra. Both use
matrix BR2325 take2, but I'm puzzled as to why one copy has wider groove
spacing than the other. The distance from lead-in to lead-out is greater on
one of the copies, and consequently a smaller label is used.
I've listened carefully to both 'versions', but they are absolutely
identical performances, and this is confirmed by the 'take 2' symbol: II,
which appears in the lead-out area of both discs.
Does this mean that one of these is a dubbing? Or is it possible that two
masters were simultaneously cut at the recording session?
There may be a clue, in that the disc with the wider groove spacing and
small label appears to be laminated and has an additional marking in the
lead-out area: T1. I should mention that the reverse sides of both discs use
identical pressings with identical markings.
Any comments gratefully received.

Regards

Tim Huskisson