[78-L] Cylinder Boxes

klinger at modex.com klinger at modex.com
Sun Dec 25 11:01:21 PST 2011

David,

To the best of my knowledge, the Hollinger Metal Edge products are
currently the most readily available containers that meet your
description.

Here is a link to their "Wax Cylinder Box" catalog page:
http://tinyurl.com/7hjw7pt

A better, more affordable box should eventually be available, through
the Association for Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC).

As Mike Biel mentioned, the Cylinder Subcommittee of the ARSC
Technical Committee has developed a molded-plastic Archival Cylinder
Box (ACB).  This spindle-type box consists of a molded-polycarbonate
Body and a molded-polypropylene Lid.  Soft silicone-foam cushions are
compression-fit at the inside bottom of the Body, and inside the Lid.
The Lid is securely retained on the Body, via one-quarter-turn
bayonet-action features.

Over the past year, ACB molds have been built and refined.
Production of 15,000 ARSC ACBs for the Library of Congress is
scheduled for the first half of 2012.

Thereafter, the ARSC Board of Directors will consider various options
for marketing and distributing ARSC ACBs to the public.  At the
moment, I can't quote price or availability.

Regards,
Bill Klinger