[78-L] Liner notes

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 19 09:17:13 PST 2011

Liner notes go way back, long before these examples.  In 1917 HMV issued
a series of operettas and operas with beautifully illustrated covers and
descriptive notes on the inside front cover.  I can supply photos.  In
1924 when Victor began their acoustical Musical Masterpieces series they
had descriptive notes and photographs on each individual sleeve pocket
in the albums.  These would discuss the music on the record in the
sleeve, the performers, orchestra, conductor, composer, etc.  The first
albums in the electrical era were un-numbered with soft covers in 1926
and I do not know about notes, but when they started numbering the M and
C album series in 1928 there were notes on the inside front cover of the
C series (C-1 Victor Herbert, C-2 Steven Foster), and there might have
been booklets in the M series like Don described.  I have examples of
these early albums.

But remember, Edison supplied descriptive folders with Blue Amberol
cylinders starting in 1912, and when they started discs in 1912 and 1913
they had notes in the box for the first and glued to the sleeve after
the first series. All of these were delivered with the records, but
there were descriptive notes in the monthly supplements going way back,
and they could have been used by the customers, but only if they got the
supplement with the records right when they were issued.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com