[78-L] Lenin Speaks

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Dec 16 15:17:39 PST 2011

On 12/16/2011 5:10 PM, Steve Shapiro wrote:
> Another friend, who used to be on this list, told me that
> most reissues of these speeches - later 78s, lps, cds, etc.
> - are dubs, with the usual loss of sound quality.

Obviously the LPs and CDs are dubs, but I suppose that you mean that
these were dubbed from the dubbed 78s.

> For those who have the lp or cd, how "true" does the sound quality seem?

They are average acoustical recordings.  They have all been filtered and
EQed in some fashion, but the CD from around 1987 is truly amazing, and
I suppose that the LP sounds similar.  The recordings are put through an
extreme noise gate.  There      is      ab  so  lute       si  lence
  be  tween        each     word       and       each        syl  la
ble         in        each        word.        I      have       never
   heard        an  y  thing          like        it      .       There
     must       have       been       an       e  dict       from
the       Cen  tral       Com  mit  tee        that       So  vi  et
 C    Ds        will       have        no        noise      .        I
     bought      my        copy       at       a         So  vi  et
  Ex   hi  bi  tion       in      Cin  cin   nat   ti       and
have      ne ver     seen     it     for     sale     a  gain     ev  en
     in       Rus  sia     .

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com