[78-L] Lenin Speaks

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Fri Dec 16 14:10:42 PST 2011

You can go to this website, read these speeches in Russian or English, or download mp3s for your enjoyment, education, and political guidance:

http://www.marxists.org/romana/audio/index.htm

Like most 78s of speeches, I doubt whether such records get much wear, unless they are played over and over to indoctrinate someone in the correct path.  I would think that for most people, one listen would be more than enough.

A friend of mine, a refugee, picked up the complete set of 4 records - perhaps 2 or 3 are the original issues and the other(s) are likely first reissues from 1923.   These are thicker records of the time with labels most people will only see on some website or in a book.  My friend's records are for sale, but for very big bucks.

Another friend, who used to be on this list, told me that most reissues of these speeches - later 78s, lps, cds, etc. - are dubs, with the usual loss of sound quality.  For those who have the lp or cd, how "true" does the sound quality seem?

There is a story that the speeches were recorded for the Soviet government by a German engineer.  There was something about full payment not being given, so some masters stayed with the engineer and some of the recorded speeches were never issued and are probably lost.  I am unclear whether the original, issued records might have been pressed by Beka or Odeon, maybe in Germany?

If someone wants to buy my friend's records and is prepared to pay the price, I will help broker the deal./steve