[78-L] Cylinder Rubble

marimbamoods at comcast.net marimbamoods at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 06:38:08 PST 2011

i have had the distinct displeasure of receiving an eBay maraca today.

what is a maraca, you say?

it is a latin percussion instrument, consisting of a dried gourd with pebbles in it, that is held in the hand and shaken to make a "chica-chica-chica" sound.

how to make one, you wonder? here's the steps involved:

take two Clarion wax cylinder records (make sure they are rare and irreplaceable, those work best) and simply drop them into a cardboard tubular mailer with no packing material whatsoever and then mail them to my address, and - VOILA, "chica-chica-chica." what once were two interesting historical artifacts are now black rubble and dust, perfect for adding that special touch to latin jazz when shaken.

when considering making this purchase, i researched this guy's eBay feedback and history. his feedback is 100% positive, with feedback specifically for many record sales, so he seemed to me to be a seller i didn't have to worry about. go figure . . . another candidate for "eBay genius-of-the-year" award.

david harvey