[78-L] "Mammy O' Mine" (Adele Rowland)

L78rpm at aol.com L78rpm at aol.com
Wed Dec 14 15:16:45 PST 2011

Yes.  She recorded two unissued "trials" for Victor from Friml's
"Katinka":  "Your Photo" and "I Want to Marry a Male Quartet".   Details are at the
Victor discography website.

She also appeared in at least one Vitaphone short, packaged with the fancy
Jolson "Jazz Singer" DVD set and available.  She is 45, still pretty, and
her voice is intact.  She sings an odd song (think "Special Material")
about her airplane; a politically incorrect song in stage Chinese dialect; and
two current TPAlley songs: "There Must Be Somebody Else" (using the same
arrangement Belle Baker uses on her Brunswick disc) and I forget the other
title.  It is a physically static performance and I think they  told her not
to move.  She followed instructions.

paul charosh

In a message dated 12/14/2011 5:02:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jraymond at alumni.princeton.edu writes:

> She  appeared in 15 Broadway musicals from 1904-1922, including one by
>  Kern,  one by Friml, one by Victor Herbert.  Her later marriage was  to
> actor
> Conway Tearle, whose father was (of all people)  cornetist Jules Levy.
> She
> appeared in films  sporadically in small roles.  The last was in  1950.

Did she ever record any songs from her Broadway shows  or movies?

-- Jack  Raymond
78-L mailing  list
78-L at klickitat.78online.com