[78-L] The THIRD Jazz Singer being released.

L78rpm at aol.com L78rpm at aol.com
Tue Dec 13 17:38:19 PST 2011

"The Jazz Singer" began as a short story and then became a play with George
 Jessel as Jakie Rabinowitz.  It was revived, as a play, for a limited  run
at the Metropolitan Playhouse in New York City (off-off-Broadway, in  what
is now called "alphabet city").  It opened in mid-November and closed  last
weekend, as planned, on December 11.  I served as a music  consultant.

No one sings "Mammy" in the play.  Instead, the script calls for Jakie  to
sing "Red Hot Mama."  The play ends with Jakie singing at the service in
the synagogue.  He does not go back to the theatre.  He is fired and  it is
possible that he will never work in vaudeville or musical comedy  again.  His
relationship with "Mary Dale" remains unresolved.  The  script also calls
for "Dixie Mammy" (which I cannot locate) and mentions "Down  in Tennessee"
(if it exists, I don't know of it).

Instead of "Mammy", Jakie sings "Mammy O Mine" (1919), chosen independently
 by both myself and the cast and director.  After the matinee performance
of  December 3 I spoke about the history of mother/mammy/home/dixie songs and
played  several discs.  I  spoke and played records for an hour to an
audience  of about twelve people who stayed on after the matinee to hear the
presentation  and ask questions.  In the "talk back" session (as they are
called) I  played the Adele Rowland Victor of the song.  You can hear it on the
National Juke Box site and also on the Victor discography site.

Several other people, with different "specialties",  did other  "talk back"
sessions (as they are called at the theatre) after other  performances.

paul charosh