[78-L] Operatic Sight Reading.

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sun Dec 11 18:09:02 PST 2011

On 12/11/2011 4:53, OKIN EARL wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As a Jazz singer who loves Opera and collects operatic 78s, I don't see why
> you are surprised about this. The same thing applies to Operatic as any
> other sort of singing. You need a fine voice, great phrasing and a natural
> musicality.
>
> An ability to act is obviously an optional extra which could be very useful.
>
> However...sight-reading is not required.
> Lack of that skill just requires the services of a good 'repetiteur'...
>
> Earl.
>

> Amazingly some of the truly great opera singers :Caruso, Pinza,
> Warren, among others were NOT able to sight read music!!

However, as with any type of musical profession, it is a great
hinderance to any progress to a career unless there are extenuating
circumstances. Once you get to a certain level of a profession notoriety
and experience begin to overcome such a handicap. The odds are greatly
increased for success if one is properly equipped from the beginning.
Ask any guitarist.

What if it were, "Enrico who?"

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)