[78-L] Early studio singers - question

Craig Ventresco craigventresco at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 11:48:24 PST 2011

I'm guessing that almost every pro singer 100 years ago was able to read
atleast some music--and  many of those NewYork guys must have been great at
sight singing. I read that Billy Murray said he was unable to read music,
but I bet that he could get around the treble cleff vocal parts alright.
There may have been a difference in his head between doing that and reading
piano music. I don't know. Part of the Tin pan Alley songwriting machine
was a group of people whose job it was to teach singers their songs--to
coach them. I believe that this is what many recording artists would hacve
done. To use Murray as an example again, I think that he became duet
partners with ed Smalle because Smalle was his song coach--or whatever it
was called..and Murray liked the way Smalle sang with him. Of course,
there's no way of knowing how many recording artist/singers could at least
sight read their vocal parts...but I really think tat it would have been a
high number...just gussin'.
I think that a singers' ability to retain the words to many songs in
his/her momory was a huge asset. Dan Quinn mentioned this as the reason
that he was able to work nonstop throughout the 1890's....