[78-L] Flood damage to records - call for information on how to save a collection

Tim McCormick Dad at TheMcCormicks.com
Sat Dec 3 09:35:10 PST 2011

Jain,

	I am carbon copying a few MAPS members that are far more
knowledgeable about this than I am.  Personally, I believe that records made
from vinyl and shellac should fare well - maybe suffering their labels being
unglued.  After the records are dry, the grooves may be cleaned, if soiled.
Some records do not like water at all, like Edison Diamond Discs and
laminated cardboard varieties.

	If, by any chance, this is a collection of rare antique phonograph
records, I could try to find a collector willing to assist in their rescue.

	If possible, lay out all the records individually so they have a
chance to dry.  Mold loves moisture and will grow freely in record grooves
making it very difficult to clean later.  I'll let the others comment to you
directly, and I'll also post your message on the 78-L message board to drum
up more informed responses.

Thanks,

Tim McCormick
President at MAPS-ITG.org