[78-L] Bert Williams Columbia cylinder

Mike Daley mikedaley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 07:26:11 PST 2011

from the seller:
I have played the cylinder and it is definitely an english voice with
a slight 'london accent' , so I don't thik it is your american Bert.
It sounds like either Bilkly Whitlock or Harry Bluff , english
comedians who both recorded prolifically in the early days. The songs
listed in the Columbia catalogue are all songs which I believe
were part of the american Bert Williams' repertoire, so most likely
this recording is Columbia capitatlising on William's fame even though
there appears to be no other pseudonomous artistes listed in the
catalogue of 1904. This was about the time when Whitlock started
recording ( he recorded well into the 1930's ) so it is quite possible
that when he started , he used this 'Bert Williams' name which of
course at the time would have sounded like it could well have been a
genuine name of an english comedian.