[78-L] Political voices

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Mon Nov 28 02:33:10 PST 2011

Hank Locklin - made 78s but wasn't elected - Honorary Mayor of McLellan,
Fla.
Sonny Bono - was elected but I don't think he made 78s. - Mayor of Palm
Springs, Cal.
Martha Reeves - Elected Detroit City Councilwoman - No 78s??
RayK

From: Dennis Flannigan
While preparing my radio program, I recorded, "Bang, Bang," by Jimmie
Davis. Well known for many reasons, this popular bluesy country artist
later served two terms as Governor of Louisiana. Bandleader, Vic Meyers
made some strong sides sometime before he was elected (at different times)
both Secretary of State and the Lt. Governor in Washington State. Scotty
Wiseman (Lulu Bell and Scotty) was, I think, elected mayor. Others, like
Roy Acuff ran for office but were not elected.

So, I'm interested in 78s recorded by *elected* officials. Not seeking
political themed recordings, but artists you'd collect if they'd never been
elected. I guess there's a word for that: talented. Hoping to put together
an all-politicians (elected) program.