[78-L] Low Frequency cut for acoustic recordings

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Nov 27 17:51:41 PST 2011

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM, DAVID BURNHAM <burnhamd at rogers.com>
wrote:

> There's nothing to hear below 75 hz as someone has already pointed out,
> also you can pretty safely filter everything over 5khz. Some people will
> argue with that one but that's my opinion; a collector once told me that
> the hf on acoustic records extends to over 13k but I don't believe it.
>
> db

Thomas Stockham (of Soundstream fame) explained that this was pulsed
noise, fuzz that accompanies the recording superimposed on each note.
We get used to it and miss it when it is filtered out because it is not
really part of what went into the recording.  A way to trick our ears
into believing that the top end has not been filtered is to return a
slight amount of surface noise in the 12-14 KHz range.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com