[78-L] Low Frequency cut for acoustic recordings

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sun Nov 27 16:18:25 PST 2011

Vincent Fitzpatrick wrote:

In Diamond Cut, I use the "Brick Wall" filter. I listen to the low end,
raising the cut-off point until I hear some music, then back down a bit.
It's usually around 110-130 for Victor, lower for
 OKeh, much higher for
Harmony. I listen to the high end the same way, moving the cut-off point
down until I hear music.

That's an excellent procedure!  I do the same thing using Waves "Q10" equalizer to find the frequency limits of 78s.  I also apply noise reduction, (CEDAR),  to the un-filtered signal, (on 78s, I also use it before hf de-emphasis and using a stereo signal from the record).  Then I apply the filters, de-emphasis and reduce it to mono and wind up with a very clean signal from the record.

db