[78-L] Convert a belt drive turntable to play 78's

John Wright vintage at jabw.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 25 14:37:53 PST 2011

I'm with Ken and Mike on this one. There are good DJ turntables around that
play 78rpm with pitch control, especially on ebay and (in UK) Cash
Converters shops. And yes you need to be able to check the condition as they
may have been manhandled. Search ebay local (within 50 miles so you can
check its condition).

I have a Numark TT and also a Stanton STr-880, each cost me 50 pounds, and
they are just a few years old. The Stanton has a short straight arm which is
at an odd angle by the time the record ends, don't know why they made it
that way. That's my spare. The Numark was like brand new and plays very well
with Shure cartridge and 3mil stylus.

Using software to record at 33rpm and then speed up to 78rpm DOES have its
uses. I use it to transfer WARPED 78s. Works a treat, no wobbly bouncing
arm!. Audacity software can do it.

John