[78-L] Phantom eBay winner

Benno Häupl goldenbough at arcor.de
Sun Nov 13 09:19:51 PST 2011

.
There's more behind this story than appears at first sight. The fake bidder has been in
operation for about two years now. I have about 15 fake IDs of his.

When I had Calypso 78s up for auction, I thought that the fake bidder would not be that
stupid to disclose his identity (to eBay) by showing who he is.  I was wrong.

He was still able to bid (because he had his PayPal account linked to his new/fake eBay ID -
so at least eBay knows who he is. Like several others, I reported the whole case to
eBay Trust & Safety, but they say that PayPal is another company and they cannot get
information about users from them !!! In other words, they are able to identify him and kick
him off forever, but they won't do it.

So. I think it is important to follow the official eBay procedure. Therefore I retrieve his
personal information after the auction end and call the phone number in London. It always
proves to be fake. Next step is to report him to eBay for false contact information. That will
get him kicked off (but he will register a new fake ID soon).

The procedure is to send him an invoice, wait 4 days, file for an unpaid item, and if more
people follow this routine, his ID is NARU'd quickly (NARU = not a registered user). Then
you get your FVF (final value fees) back from eBay and can sell to the next highest bidder.
By the way, personally, I do sell to the next highest bidder at the price they WOULD HAVE
PAID if the fake bidder had not come along.

Also, I used to stay up late (European time) when my items ended in the evening (EST to
PST), and waited for the first fake winning bid to come in. Then I know his ID. With another
browser that I had open at the blocked bidders page, I blocked him instantly from bidding
on more of my items which I had set to end 2 minutes apart.

Benno
.