[78-L] Phantom eBay winner

Tom nice_guy_with_an_mba at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 08:02:39 PST 2011

If the second highest bidder submitted a bid that's acceptable to you, I'd go ahead
and offer the item to that person instead as a second chance offer.

After all, the high bidder is no longer anywhere to be found, so what is there to lose?

I've never sold records on ebay, though I have sold other stuff and have used this
particular feature a few times on items where the high bidder was a flake.

In one instance, the guy who got the second chance offer was thrilled.

In another instance, the guy who got the second chance offer got somewhat pissy,
for lack of a better term, and wanted me to lower the price on the item I had for
sale (a Mayan jade mask) below his bid.

I responded by saying something like "Look, if you want the mask, it's $X,XXX
and if you don't want the mask it's certainly no problem and I may decide at some
point down the road to list the item again. Let me know what you want to do."

He came around.

Hope this helps.

Tom