[78-L] Universal gets EMI

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 11 07:52:24 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 09:41 -0600, neechevoneeznayou+AEA-gmail.com wrote:
+AD4 http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204224604577031694160429400.html
+AD4
+AD4 Sony gets the publishing side. Deal expected to close today.
+AD4
+AD4 When I think of all those racks full of Berliners that I saw when I was
+AD4 there for the ARSC Conference in 2001....

So, for the record business at least, the cart now owns the horse.  The
Gramophone Company owned Deutsche Grammophon until the latter was
nationalized during the first World War. Now DG's parent is EMI's
parent.

Post-78 RPM era, it also means that The Beatles now share an irony with
Glenn Miller: their entire commercial recorded catalog (and in the Fab's
case, a legendary audition), recorded at the time for different labels,
is all owned by the same organization now.

MS