[78-L] Acoustical 78s in Spectra-Sonic Sound

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Nov 8 20:46:15 PST 2011

On 11/8/2011 11:15 PM, Michael Biel wrote:
>> In the early 80s the Everest Group's Olympic label
>> issue their George M. Cohan and Al Jolson LPs -- both from acoustical
>> Victors in the early teens -- in QUAD!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> And of course, there are those Prime Voce CDs on Nimbus which were
>> recorded from an acoustical EMG Expert gramophone in the Crazy Count's
>> Castle dining room in Ambisonic surround sound quad with a multi-element
>> matrix microphone.   Mike Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
>
> One of MCA's double lp sets, Jimmy Dorsey I think, contained at least one track
> transferred from an original shellac 78 played in stereo. (The same rocket
> scientists issued an Ella Fitzgerald-Chick Webb lp with a skip in the original 78.) dl

Surface noise in stereo is nothing.  RCA Victor has occasionally done it
on CD.  I'm talking about taking electronic stereo filtered and echoed
recordings and putting them thru a quad encoder.  And also talking about
playing recordings -- including electrical recordings -- acoustically in
an overly reverberant room and recording the result with a quad
microphone.

This stuff is WEIRD.  It makes the mild reverb you used on Intersound
twenty plus years ago almost invisible.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com