[78-L] Lou Breese transcription

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 8 20:03:04 PST 2011

On 11/8/2011 10:45 PM, Mark Bardenwerper wrote:
> On 11/8/2011 9:12, David Lennick wrote:
>> 16 inch, vertical cut, 33RPM, probably around 1942 based on the tunes
>> (Tangerine, I Remember You, Buckle Down Winsocki among them..also Breezin'
>> Along with the Breeze, noted as his theme). Guess you'll want this!
>>

> I just remembered that my dad's old Thorens might play 16 inchers. It's
> got a really nice SME Tonearm on it.
> But whether he will let me mess with his headshell so I can rewire it.
> That record will probably need a larger needle too, right?

See notes elsewhere about reversing phase at another point. Not impossible. I
don't know about the Thorens (never used one) but the old Lencos handled
transcriptions easily. And I've generally had better results playing vertical
cut transcriptions with a .7 mil stylus, which gets to the bottom of the groove
and misses a lot of the worn area. For some reason this technique doesn't work
well on 30s Muzak discs but it's great on 40s Worlds. I'll check this one as
soon as I'm finished with a current emergency project.