[78-L] Unusually long 78RPM sides

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 8 08:25:54 PST 2011

On 11/8/2011 11:05 AM, Michael Biel wrote:

> Shortest: Mercury 70318 (Sammy Spear: "Watermelon") - 1:19  Bryan W.

Stan Freberg as Clyde Ankle: "Isn't that kind of a short song?"
Jesse White as record producer: "Yeah, it gets more plays that way."

I wonder if any of the Buchanan and Goodman flip sides were shorter than 1:19?
And the shortest 45 side I can think of right now is Shel Silverstein's "26
Second Song". Came in handy in the days when we had to fit everything to a
"clock" and Harry Chapin's "Taxi" was on the playlist.

dl

> American Columbia occasionally let an ethnic record run long rather than
> issue it on a 12-incher.  I have some Jewish records with one side with
> a tiny label, with grooving all the way up to it.  I've never timed
> them, though.

American Columbia also pressed its ethnic 78s off center and more than once
with the wrong stamper, like the Yiddish disc I have which plays something
Chinese. Obviously nobody paid any attention to those things other than "Get
'em out, these peasants will buy anything".

> The final side of the MacLeish broadcast "Air Raid" on Columbia
> Masterworks runs real short -- they eliminated the closing announcement
> which would have filled it -- and it is a 12-inch single-sided disc, no
> less.

The last side of the Firebird Suite on Columbia by Stokowski runs about a
minute. Ditto the final side of the Shostakovich 6th with Stoky on Victor, and
Rodzinski's Pictures at an Exhibition on Columbia (as I recall, that's just a
filler piece anyway). I think one side of Piatigorsky's (sorry, Paddy
O'Gorsky's) recital album runs less than 1:19.