[78-L] EQ - why bother? - was: stereo/mono and noise reduction

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 05:58:58 PST 2011

My understanding is that mono-ing a signal eliminates the vertical
component, and all the noise therein (assuming a laterally recorded
groove). It does not eliminate the lateral noise. The cartridge can be
wired thru a switch that reverses polarity of the vertical component.
This is handy for playing vertical records, you can eliminate all the
lateral noise. Did I say that right?

I typically start a mono transfer in stereo, because there are other
tricks to do in the computer to eliminate noise that require a stereo
signal. In the example of a big click in one channel only, you can copy
the other quiet channel to the other side. Sounds metaphysical.

joe salerno

--
Joe Salerno