[78-L] Unusually long 78RPM sides

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 7 12:19:03 PST 2011

We've discussed this many times, and double-length 78 playing times were common
in the 50s..as well as in the early 30s with Hit Of The Week and Columbia's
Longer Playing Records. But I've never encountered an English Columbia side
from the 1920s that pushes 10 minutes until now, especially since UK Columbia
in particular went to rather shorter sides when electrical recording came in
(causing Holst to conduct his Planets much faster than he had on the acoustical
version). A pair of electioneering speeches by Ramsay MacDonald in 1929 runs
4:50 and 4:56 and they didn't have to shrink the labels.