[78-L] Music preferences

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Mon Nov 7 11:34:56 PST 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

David London wrote:

> I am just getting time to renew my interest in 78s and the old
> sounds they
> contain.  I find I am enjoying quite a range of stuff, although I
> am not
> sure my wife is happy with some of what I am playing :) I see it as
> a good
> thing, because I am not caring too much about collectability, hence
> I can
> buy them cheaply.
>
> For example, I just played and liked
>
> Mine - all mine,  Lee Sims, Brunswick
> Dashing Dragoons March, Parlophone Military Orch., Parlophone
> Valencia, Franklyn Baur, Brunswick
> Tiptoe through the Tulips, George Sorlie, Parlophone
> My Bonnie Heilen Maggie, Sandy MacFarlane, Brunswick
> Tie me to your Apron Strings again, Volunteer Firemen, Brunswick
>
> Also I have a lot of early orchestra, Big Band, and Jazz records. Then
> there's the classical, especially 12" 78 sets and opera.
>
> I'll be reading posts on this list more now as well.  Just
> wondering if
> others consider some of this stuff worth listening to as well.

Some, yes. I too like that Volunteer Firemen record of "Tie Me To
Your Apron Strings Again" -- your mention of it prompts me to plan on
transferring it. My tastes tend to 1920s hot dance and jazz,
1930s-'40s swing/big-band/jazz; not so much for the classical stuff
though I have certain likes in that genre. Pop vocalists I can take
or leave.

Take care,

Joe
--
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and
cats."--Albert Schweitzer