[78-L] "Give Me The Banjo" story

warren moorman wlmoorman3 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 13:13:07 PDT 2011

I saw that, Malcolm, and was wondering who that was; Charlie caught my attention so that I didn't study your image much (mostly in profile on the left of frame for 4-5 seconds, right?). Who shot/has the footage? How about telling a little more about your playing with Charlie...

All in all, I thought it was a pretty good documentary as those things go. They could have included a bit more about the African and pre-minstrel American banjo history, I thought, and while understandable, it's too bad some really important figures went either scarcely or completely unmentioned, e.g. Harry Reser, Ikey Robinson, Polk Miller, Don Reno, etc. Did you notice when they made it seem like Gus Cannon was being heard singing and playing, only to cut to a contemporary young guy on Beale Street who was actually doing it? The Carolina Chocolate Drops are fine to show young black interest, despite their faintly Marsalis-ish approach, but the filmmakers could have gotten footage of John Jackson and/or his living nephew Jeffrey Scott, to also show recent black banjo playing. The sections on Cannon and Poole were good, if a bit tailored to the preferences of the modern  blues and country fan whose appreciation derives from records and
 books.  I enjoyed seeing some of the folks I know, like Kinney Rorrer and Wayne Henderson, and of course images of our lovely Blue Ridge Mountains always make me proud.

Warren