[78-L] Stylus Alignment

Doug Pomeroy audiofixer at verizon.net
Wed Nov 2 19:35:34 PDT 2011

Hi John,

It ain't rocket science, despite what you may have been told.

SME used to provide a strip of cardboard with marks on it which could
be used to set the proper distance from the arm's pivot to the tip of
the stylus,
and maybe you can even get one from the SME web site?  (And there are
other sources for this type of protractor, if you do some internet
searches.)

The other alignment concerns the angle between the stylus and the
surface
of the disc.  If your eyes are good, you can easily get "into the
ballpark" simply
by LOOKING CLOSELY at the way the stylus rests on the disc surface when
the disc is not moving, first viewed from in front (azimuth), and
second from the
side (zenith).  The azimuth angle should be straight up and down, and
the zenith
should be straight up and down for 78s, but tiled backward about
fifteen degrees
for LPs.  (These are not hard and fast rules, of course.)

Don't be afraid to use your ears, as the proof of the pudding is in
the hearing.

Doug Pomeroy
POMEROY AUDIO
Audio Restoration & Mastering Services