[78-L] What off the press?

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 16:41:06 PDT 2011

On 02/11/11 23:01, Michael Biel wrote:
> From: Julian Vein<julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
>> Just been browsing through the October 1939 issue of "The Gramophone"
>> and the jazz reviews. At the end there is an indication of reproduction
>> quality. For some it says: "Reviewed from test pressing, so little
>> indication of surface was available."
>> So what was different about the test pressings?  Julian Vein
> Don't ask us, ask them.  Oh.  That would be a little difficult.  Well,
> what was the record in particular?  Maybe we might know what the regular
> pressings were like, and that might indicate what the test pressing
> might have been like.  Was it one of the club pressings?
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

Not confined to one label, Shaw and Goodman on HMV, Sister Rosetta
Tharpe on Brunswick. The main criticism was of excessive surface noise
except for the test pressings. About this time "The Gramophone" was
adverising televisions. Rather ironic because the service was being shut
down for the duration of the war. By November the ads had gone.

Today marks the 75th anniversary of the first commercial TV
transmissions from Alexandra Palace, which I can see from the back
bedroom (well, the mast anyway!).

      Julian Vein