[78-L] RIP, CDs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Nov 2 10:48:06 PDT 2011

From: DAVID BURNHAM <burnhamd at rogers.com>

> I heard on the news yesterday that the major record companies plan
> to stop production of the CD at the end of 2012.

Whose news?  What was their source?  Doesn't sound reliable because it
doesn't seem to appear anywhere else.  The only similar story I find is
a Nov 21, 2009 Daily Mail story where Linn has stopped making PLAYERS,
but the highly innacurate headline reads "Death of the compact disc as
iPod boom forces CD maker to end production"

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1229557/Death-CD-looms-pioneering-manufacturer-ends-production.html#ixzz1cZTwYm9g

> Why not restore the SACD.  There's a disc with perfect sound and is not able to be copied.
> Works for me!  db

But doesn't work for maybe 99% of people since SACD cannot be played on
ordinary players.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com