[78-L] Waxing lyrical

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 08:30:35 PDT 2011

Here's a bit on the origin of "the old army game":
http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/site/old_army_game/

In D. W. Griffith's 1925 "Sally of the Sawdust", W. C. Fields is featured as a carnival
man and in one of the titles he says "It's not a game of chance--it's a game of science
and skill--the old army game!" If memory serves, I *think* this scene involved a shell game
of some kind. And of course, "It's the Old Army Game" was the title of one of his
Paramount films the following year.

-HA