[78-L] Panic..or myth? (Hey, it was 73 years ago tonight, too) [FWD]

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 31 16:21:25 PDT 2011

 From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>

> If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't
> even
> done a second time for the west coast, which means that whatever stations in
> the west carried it (and I believe LA didn't) ran it at 5pm. Some local
> stations are thought to have done a line check and run it later.

KIRO, the CBS affiliate in Seattle, time-shifted all of the CBS
prime time broadcasts from some time in the late-30s on.  After
the shows aired, the lacquers were taken to their backup transmitter
location on Vashon Island for storage.  Several years ago they
donated all of them to (I believe) the Smithsonian.