[78-L] Panic..or myth? (Hey, it was 73 years ago tonight, too) [FWD]

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 31 11:50:07 PDT 2011

No commercials..which was related to the lack of listeners, since the show was
"highbrow" and couldn't land a sponsor until after the notoriety, at which
point it became the Campbell Playhouse. If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't even
done a second time for the west coast, which means that whatever stations in
the west carried it (and I believe LA didn't) ran it at 5pm. Some local
stations are thought to have done a line check and run it later. I've heard a
number of different transfers of this broadcast (Longines, a dub off Orson's
own lacquers, a 16-inch set of discs dubbed from another set of 78 lacquers)
and the only "You are listening to.." occurs about 2/3 in.

dl