[78-L] HORRIBLE 78 transfers, on a major label

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 18:43:40 PDT 2011

Dan Morgenstern tells the story of being invited to RCA with some other
writers and historians to hear the No Noise transfers of the Benny Goodman 3
CD set of the 1935-37 band back when that set came out in the late 80s. They
were appalled; notes were missing, cymbals were missing, and some recordings
sounded like they were recorded under water. After some questioning, it was
clear that those who 'cleaned up' the recordings were computer programming
people and not professional engineers. Several tracks had to be redone, and
the new ones weren't much better if we remember that set.

Paul Goodman once told me that he'd worked on the Glenn Miller complete CD
box, and several tracks were run through No Noise as a test. He said that
the result was so poor, and a completion deadline fast arriving, that
everyone decided to clean the recordings up the old way and not do digital
cleanup.

Jeff Sultanof