[78-L] HORRIBLE 78 transfers, on a major label

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Wed Oct 26 11:28:58 PDT 2011

Sometimes broadcast engineers make their own "transfers": they edit the
CD sound, which may be a transfer itself.
I do it regularly (being both host and sound engineer for my programme).
Some early (and even contemporary) CD transfers sound dreadful; usually
the sound is squeezed, and I have to raise treble, which may work, but
sometimes there's no sound editing done at all and I have to use noise
reduction, declicking etc.
Hopefully I adjust the sound wisely, being used to manage old
recordings. But most engineers are not, and may well squeeze the sound
of a really good transfer.
So we shouldn't automatically blame the CD, if we hear it broadcast, and
it sounds bad.
Kristjan