[78-L] True in Sound, was Cassettes

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Fri Oct 21 19:10:08 PDT 2011

I'm sorry, I think painting all 78s as not being high fidelity is totally
incorrect.  One has to define what the term actually means..  Listening to a
pristine laminated late Okeh Electric, such as of Louis' Ballroom orchestra
with "Tight like This," is an experience that can't be recreated.  The
single mic picks up the ambience of the recording studio perfectly, and with
a decent playback system it seems like the band is right in the room.. It is
a simply lovely sound - and an accurate representation of what the band
probably actually sounded like live.  Many Okehs have that "you are there"
quality.  Also, while different, mid-30 HMVs have a gorgeous rich sound to
bands such as Hylton's.   And there's the stepping Tones label, whose late
30s recordings have transients and range equal to any modern stuff.  Even
today tube electronics is preferred over all-solid state for cutting.

A little thing about noise, the middle ear REQUIRES just a bit of noise to
act as dithering to keep the bones mobile during soft passages, otherwise
the sound seems to come out of a sound-deadening limbo. Literally it's the
biological version of "crossover distortion." In fact, any cleanup or even
just playback from CD of the above-mentioned Okeh sides loses that ambient
immediacy..I've never heard any CD of "Tight.." that was as good as the 78
disc on a V15MkIII elliptical.  I'm not dissing digital, 192/32 and 92/24
through a good Da retains the source qualities near-perfectly, CD just
doesn't have high enough sampling, plus it's what is done in post-production
that is the problem.  Yes the Umbrella label and others put out good DD
LPs...

And cassettes are no comparison with direct-to-disc 78s.

..  Steve Williams  ..

Message: 3