[78-L] My Pal Sal

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Thu Oct 20 12:21:52 PDT 2011

Born in 1915. Studied with Jean Paquay who also taught Fazola and Parenti.
Went on road with Benny Meroff in 1936. Isham Jones 1937. Joined Whiteman in
1938. Guest soloist with Buffalo Symphony.(1955) Other recorded gigs...w/
Harry Sosnik in 1942. , Erskine Butterfield 1940, Frank Froeba 1937 (along
with Hackett)    N BC  Staff 1941-1947 then studio work in California.
Backed Teddy Grace in 1937 along with Hackett and Budy Morrow.  Louis Prima
in 1936.
All above "recorded gigs" can be found in Rust Jazz Records or his ADBD.

He was a New Orleans clarinettist and it looks like he was well regarded as
a jazz musician as well as a concert artist.

(most of above from Leonard Feather's "The New Edition of The Encyclopedia
of Jazz")

Al Simmons